In true Christmas style our walk begins at the Christmas tree in front of the Abbey, this is the heart of our festive city. There are often carols and if your timing is right, the Bath Christmas Market wraps itself around the Abbey and through the city, so you can't resist feeling festive.
Length: 2.5mi / 4km
Duration: 50 minutes
- From the Abbey walk along the front of the Roman Baths and The Pump Room.
- When you reach the main shopping street, Stall Street; turn left.
- After a short distance turn right onto Bath Street; it's an architectural gem. At the bottom of the street on your left you have Thermae Spa and ahead of you the Cross Bath.
- Turn right towards The Little Theatre, then through the alley on the left. When you reach Westgate Buildings turn right.
- After a short walk you will reach Kingsmead Square. It's Baths coffee mecca, so grab yourself a coffee or hot chocolate to go.
- Walk up Westgate Street towards the Theatre Royal and turn right along Upper Borough Walls; this was the historical city limits.
- Turn left up Trim Bridge and keep going straight onto Queen Street and then John Street. At the end follow the road to the left, which will bring you to a crossing onto Queen Square.
- Cross the road straight ahead and walk along the north side of Queen Square. At the north west corner of Queen Square turn right onto Queen's Parade.
- As you walk up the quiet street you'll approach the gateway to the Royal Victoria Park. You can walk up Royal Avenue and pop into the ice rink at the pavilion, or walk along the Gravel Walk and pop into the Georgian garden.
- Both routes have views up to the Royal Crescent, but you'll be coming back that way so keep walking into the park. Cross the road (Marlborough Buildings/Lane) into the park towards the obelisk.
- Now do a loop of the park. If you carry on along the main avenue you'll find a huge play area for the kids to let off steam. The walk continues along beautiful tree-lined walks and passes a small botanical garden.
- Follow the route to the north east corner, and leave the park turning right onto Weston Road.
- After a short walk you will reach The Marlborough Tavern which is a great place to stop for lunch or a mulled wine. Turn right down Marlborough Buildings.
- Turn left onto the Royal Crescent. Walk along the Crescent and then straight ahead along Brock Street. Here you'll pass more lunch opportunities like Rustico on Margaret's Buildings and The Circus Restaurant.
- At the end of Brock Street you'll arrive at The Circus; it's an architectural landmark. Walk around the northern edge and turn left onto Bennett Street.
- After a short walk, turn right onto the pedestrian route along the front of the Bath Assembly Rooms; feel free to pop in for a visit! Passed the Assembly Rooms turn left onto Alfred Street then take the first right onto Bartlett Street.
- At the bottom of Bartlett Street cross George Street and walk to the right then take the first left down Milsom Street. You're now back in the heart of Bath's shopping district.
- Keep walking straight down following the road as it bends to the left onto New Bond Street, and then turning right down a narrow pedestrian route called New Bond Street Place. This will take you along a pedestrian walk that leads to the Abbey; careful as you need to cross a couple of roads.
- Keep walking straight along Union Passage crossing the roads until you reach Cheap Street where you will see a gateway through the buildings that leads you back onto Abbey Square.